Other Sources of Financial Support

Energy bills

Contact your energy supplier, as they may be able to offer you a special tariff or payment plan to help you stay on top of your bills

Energy Saving Trust

Provides free, impartial advice about making your home more energy efficient.  They can also tell you about grants for implementing energy efficient measures that may be available in your local area 

Call 0300 123 1234 (local call rate) , or visit: 


Email :       


National Energy Action

This charity campaigns for affordable warmth and better energy efficiency for people who are particularly vulnerable to the cold 

Call 0191 261 5677  or visit:


Watersure Scheme

The Watersure Scheme is available for certain customers with a water meter. It allows them to have their bills capped. This is to make sure that these customers do not cut back on how much water they use because they are worried about how they will pay their bill.

You can also apply for Watersure if there is someone in your household who has a medical condition which means using higher than average amounts of water. Water companies will ask for details from a doctor.

You can apply for Watersure by filling out a form from your water company. You will need to supply evidence that you qualify, such as a copy of your awards notice for a benefit.

If you are using a dialysis machine at home you need to inform your Water Company, so that you can be placed on their high-priority list of customers.

To find your Water Company, please phone 0207 344 1844 or click the link below:


(Regarding dialysis machines, please note that in the event of an electricity power cut, you can make a free phone call to a UK-wide helpline on phone number 105).

Home Improvement Agencies

These provide advice on repairs and home improvements to older and disabled people

To find your nearest agency. phone 0300 124 0315 or click the link:


Citizens Advice

Your local CA will be able to give you advice on benefits, heating, grants and debts: 

CA Adviceline 03444 111 444


National Debt Line

Call us for free debt advice on   0808 808 4000


Scope Charity

Disability Information provides information and advice on all aspects of living with disability 

Free call telephone number :  0808 800 3333 

(9am-5pm weekdays)




NHS Live Well online services

Job insecurity, redundancy, debt and money problems can all cause feelings of distress which can start to affect your health and wellbeing.   

Visit the link below for a list of NHS services near you:

NHS services search

Funeral Payments

You could get a Funeral Payment if you’re on a low income and need help to pay for a funeral you’re arranging. How much you get depends on your circumstances and if you qualify.

Call the Bereavement Service helpline :

Telephone: 0800 731 0469   

Bereavement Service


The BBC announced that the current scheme would end and that, from 1 June 2020, a free TV licence would only be available to a household with someone aged over-75 who received pension credit.

Due to COVID 19 this date has been extended until sometime in the autumn 2020. For those who currently have a free TV Licence you should be contacted by the Licencing Authority.

More information is on the Government website:

Over 75 TV Licence

Related posts