Government Benefits

There are a wide range of Government benefits. Details are available on the Government website:

Summarised below are some of the current benefits which may help renal patients. These will inevitably change over time, so you should always check on the Government website for the latest information.

Statutory Sick Pay (SSP)

This is payable to someone who is incapable of work because of sickness or disability.  It is only paid to someone who is employed and who earns more than the National Insurance lower earnings limit.  When Statutory Sick Pay runs out or you stop being employed, you may be able to claim other benefits

Employment & Support Allowance (ESA)

ESA is a benefit paid to people whose ability to work is limited by ill health or disability.  You can apply if you are employed, self-employed or unemployed.

Universal Credit

The phased introduction of Universal Credit has been pushed back It is expected that all existing benefit claimants will be transferred to Universal Credit by March 2022. 

If you need help with your claim, call the Universal Credit helpline on: 0800 328 9344

Working Tax Credit

You may be able to claim Working Tax Credit if you work at least 16 hours a week.  You may qualify for the disability element of Working Tax Credit if you have a disability that makes it difficult to get a job. This may affect other income related benefits you get – for example Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit. 

Call the Tax Credit Helpline on 0345 300 3900     

Child Tax Credit.

This is a payment to support families with children.  It can be claimed by those responsible for at least one child or young person.  The amount of the payment depends on your circumstances and income levels, but could include a baby element, disability element or severe disability element.  You cannot claim Child Tax Credit and Universal Credit. For a Tax Credits Calculator, please click on the link below:

Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

PIP has replaced the Disability Living Allowance (for over 16s)

This may be available if you are aged over 16 and under 65 and need help looking after yourself or getting around.

Disability Living Allowance (for under 16s)

This may be available if a child under 16 needs more help or looking after than other children of the same age because of their illness or disability.

Disability Benefits Helpline :   0800 121 4600 – Mon-Fri 8am-6pm

 Flexible Support Fund

You may be able to get other support when you’re moving from benefits to work, to help you prepare for, find and stay in work.

The Flexible Support Fund (FSF) is a fund offered by local Jobcentres at the discretion of Jobcentre Plus advisers.

Jobcentre Plus is a government-funded employment agency and social security office that can be found in most cities, whose aim it is to help people of working age find employment in the UK. It was formed when the Employment Service merged with the Benefits Agency and was renamed Jobcentre Plus in 2002. It is a part of the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP). Please click the link below for more details:

Carers Allowance (CA)

This may be available if you are aged 16 or over and spending at least 35 hours a week looking after someone who is getting or waiting to hear about getting Attendance Allowance or Disability Living Allowance. 

Carers Allowance is taxable and may affect your other benefits.

Housing Benefit       

This may be available if you are on a low income, whether you are working or not, and paying rent. 

Housing Benefit (Under-Occupancy Charge)

From April 2013 people who rented their homes from a public sector landlord, such as the council or a Housing Association and were of working age, could have their housing benefit reduced by a percentage if it was considered you had more bedrooms that you actually need.  If your home is considered too big for your needs, Housing Benefit will be cut by 14% if you have one spare bedroom, and 25% if you have two or more spare bedrooms. 

Note: Dialysis patients should be aware that needing space for dialysis equipment and supplies will exempt them from this reduction in housing benefit if they only have one spare bedroom.

Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP)

You may qualify for a discretionary housing benefit to help with the shortfall in your rent.  Your local council should have further details. 

Attendance Allowance

This may be available if you are aged over 65 and need help looking after yourself or getting around.  For example, if you have a physical disability (including sensory disability, such as blindness) and your disability is severe enough for you to need help caring for yourself or someone to supervise you for your own, or someone else’s safety.  Savings and other income are not usually affected.

Pension Credit

There are two types of Pension Credit, Guarantee Credit for those who have reached the minimum qualifying age and Savings Credit for those aged 65 and over.  

Savings Credit is an extra payment for people who saved some money towards their retirement, eg. a pension. 

You don’t pay tax on Pension Credit 

For further details contact :  Telephone 0800 99 1234 

Benefit Cap

The Benefit Cap will cap the amount of benefits you receive: This changes frequently; details may be found on the Government website.

Winter Fuel Payment

You could get between £100 and £300 tax-free to help pay your heating bills if you were born on or before 27 September 1955 (as at 2020 – the date changes every year). This is known as a ‘Winter Fuel Payment’.

Most payments are made automatically between November and December. You should get the money by Christmas.

You should get a Winter Fuel Payment automatically if you get the State Pension or another social security benefit (not Housing Benefit, Council Tax Benefit or Child Benefit)

Related posts